Shenaya accompanied me for 2 weeks to the topic of Self-Care. Because of that I had to write the article A lot going on here. With a healthy sense of self-care I could take a break, before it would turn (again) in a burnout.
Why Self-care, what is so important about it
In our very hectic and challenging society we often forget to think about ourselves.
This leads to total exhaustion, our batteries are empty and we are in function mode. From that it is only a short step to discontent and can get worse till you are depressed or burned out.
Be mindful about Self-care
First pay attention to your basic needs:
- enough sleep (without a break)
- healthy food, enough to eat, drink enough water, enjoy a lovely day
- go for a walk to get some exercise. The focus should be on relaxing during a walk without fulfilling any purpose. Then it is more of a meditation that will make you even feel better about yourself
Your day is filled with activities, where does Self-care fit?
- please make appointments for you where you can deal with yourself. Yes, I mean, put these in your calendar
- When you are exhausted, it does not help anyone. You may be more likely to react harshly than lovingly. The kids do not care if it's messy, so take your time and sit down with a cop of tea or coffee and just stare in front of you.
- Get rituals: Go to bed at a certain time, get up at a certain time, take your time for a nap or afternoon coffee (usually my matcha latte will be served at 2:30 pm)
Other things to take care of you:
- Write down what you did today. Self-esteem is an important step towards self-care. After the hundredth empty dishwasher, the countless washing machines, the dusting, the high pile of ironing and the other everyday things you can allow yourself to say: I've done that, I've done a good job
- We are just in the run-up to Christmas: make you a plan how you can feed the important things for you in the days. For example, Buy gifts, bake cakes, bake cookies, etc. See if it gives you pleasure: Otherwise, let it stay. Maybe online shopping is more relaxed for you? And then write in the evening in your journal what you have done today everything. No matter how much it is. You will notice, you write a lot, things that you otherwise do by the way are now clear
- End time: Every day at a certain time it is over with the work in the home, shopping on the Internet, possibly even a digital break. Do things that make you happy. I have just completed two Christmas Stockings for my grandchildren. It was relaxing while watching TV, was a lot faster than I thought, and was a lot of fun. Look for such activities to recharge the batteries.